Spotlight on Games
Down with the King
Thu Nov 15 10:04:46 PST 2001
Sequence of Play:
Player Turn Sequence:
- First Player Designation Phase
- Office Phase
- Political Problems Phase
- Crown Events Phase
- Player Turns Phase
Benefits of Friendly Allied Royal Character (FARC) Monarch:
- Draw a loyalty counter, opportunity counter and event card.
- Perform two activities.
- Counsel the monarch.
How to Overthrow the Monarch:
- May modify all political problem die rolls by 1.
- May modify all counseling rolls by 1.
- Cannot have cards intrigued from his hand.
- Collect as many FARCs and Friendly Allied Characters (FACs) as you can, which
means collect as many Prestige Points (PPs) as you can.
- Raise the status of your Player Character (PC) and FACs as much as possible.
- Marry your PC off.
- Control as many offices as possible.
- Try to prevent political problems from being solves, unless you happen to
own the corresponding responsible minister, in which case, delay
the solution as long as possible.
- Collect as many support cards as possible.
Recommended Optional Rules:
- Spouses of the PC do not count against the PP total.
- Nobles may go into hiding before a Hearing (and thus avoid it), but not after a
Hearing, or an Interrogation or an Extradition.
- Unused loyalty counters are returned to the cup.
- When a wedding his held, each player may consult the Socializing Table at no cost.
- Henchmen may not hold office or act as Monarch Counselors.
- Henchmen can be used to counsel the monarch if the eligible officer does not wish
to do so.
- Characters may not resign office except to enter a new office.
- A roll of "6" on Wrongdoing is automatically a Hearing, regardless of Status.
- The judge hearing a trial may add or subtract 5.
- A PC (not FAC) who must fight a duel may avoid it by paying 3 IP.
- Definition of Any Activity: Pardon, Amnesty, Assassination, Expose Scandal, Escape, Extradite,
Intrigue a Card, Recruit by Treachery, Seduce.
- Definition of Intrigue Card: Intrigue chit, Assassination card, Treachery Card,
Informer Card, Escape Card, Alibi Card.
- Counselors can affect Counseling Rolls instead of Problem Rolls (optional rule).
- Gaining Foreign Support: 1:5-6; 2:4-6; 3:3-6; 4:2-6
- Gaining Fandonian Support: need a "6"
Peasants - Sheriff, Archbishop
Townsmen - Magistrate, High Minister
Clergy - Archbishop
Army - General, Minister of Army
Navy - Admiral, Minister of Navy
Merchant - High Minister, Minister of Trade
Trade Guild - High Minister, Minister of Treasury
- Emissaries: need 3-6
- Effects of Unresolved Political Problems (not solved in 3+ turns)
Banking -> no IP spending
Economic -> each player loses 1 IP
Agricultural -> famine (crown event)
Natural Disaster -> plague (crown event)
International -> 1 problem (crown event -- must be foreign war)
Foreign War -> automatically at war with all
Townsmen -> 1 problem (crown event -- Peasant Unrest)
- Funerals (2-5 bad, 6-7 no effect, 8-12 favorable)
- Counselors affect Counseling Rolls instead of Problem Rolls
- Political Parties
- Travel prevents Plague, Seduction, Treachery.
- Travel lessens chance of Duel and Assassination.
- The following characters may not travel: Royal Characters (RCs), Judges, Sheriff
Magistrate, Archbishop, Officers with problems to solve.