American Megafauna [First Edition] Sequence of Play
Anything that happens in order is always rrrr (first),
mmrrr, rm, mmm.
Please feel free to make a copy for each player in the game.
- Reveal Card.
- Biome. Everyone gets a gene (if Sex, 2).
- Place biome per
- Type: Orogeny limited to mountains, rain shadow
is moved to share hex with it, displacing whatever
- Lowest climax (empty slots count as zero climax).
- Location: southern and western slots are favored.
- If new climax is lower than all legal slots, biome
- Biome is rotated to fill remainder of space in hex
(i.e. add up to 4).
- Displace native biome
- to empty slot 1 hex away
- if none available, it goes extinct.
- prefer southern and western directions
- adjust biomass for moisture preference (wet likes wet, etc.)
- DNA is Auctioned, ties to more teeth of type specified.
- Genotype is Auctioned, ties to more teeth specified by
current Greenhouse Level.
- If card says Genetic Drift, players must discard a card.
- If bridge closed, it waits wait until the bridge opens,
- Find type: 6-letter immigrants are herbivores, 1-letters
- Find first compatible biome:
- Immigrants do not compete with existing
- May change W to needed DNA only if strictly
- Herbivores do not seek H unless they have H.
- Catastrophe. Everyone gets 5 genes (if Sex, 10).
- Greenhouse level changes. Move each biome to
follow land, marine or ice arrow depending on type.
- If Up, start at top left and go across each
row, moving each biome north.
- If Down, start at bottom right and go across
each row, moving each biome south.
- If the Catastrophe opened up a bridge and there were immigrants trapped
behind it, bring those immigrants on now. See Immigrant above.
- The 4 Pandemics cause loss of a genotype (if you
have more than one) if you are the player with the fewest
- The 4 Bolide Catastrophes:
- The Comet (Mesozoic) kills any genotype
with > 3 AaBGMS or with SSS.
- The Asteroid (Cenozoic) kills > 2 AaMS
- The Supernova (Cenozoic) kills > 4 AaMNS
- The Solar Flare (Cenozoic) kills > Size
4 or AAA or aaa.
- Express Cards (in order if requested).
- DNA Add to an available Genotype slot.
- Trigger a Milankovich Cycle change. (see on-map chart)
- Choose genotype to inherit from.
- Replace one of its counters with a counter of the
- Place the genotype card on a legal size.
- Give it every DNA counter that its parent had
(excepting size restrictions and
- Recess DNA Cards. Remove DNA counters from genotype
cards using them. May not recess genotypes.
- Size, Trophic Level and Hand Adjust (each player does all three, in order).
- Decide whether to be herbivore or predator. If
changing, all counters must change except in case of mmm
- Change Size
by 1 Level. (Predators must be same size or up to 2
sizes smaller than their prey.)
- Discard cards so as to
only hold as many cards as you have genotypes.
- Population Expansion.
In every biome/triangle where you have counters, place another.
- Herbivore Migration (in order).
Wings move 3 hexes. No movement into all sea hexes
without M or wings. Need PP to cross Ice. Need wings to
cross flooded bridges.
- Predator Migration and Predator Final Size Adjust
(in order). Change size by 1 level.
- Herbivore Extinctions.
In every biome, keep applying extinction rules until the biome
is not over its biomass capacity.
- Niche winners survive.
- Any herbivores inedible to all predators in the
triangle survive. Inedibility occurs if predator
- is not the right size to consume prey, or
- has fewer S or N than prey, or
- has fewer A than prey has a, or
- is the same counter type as prey (cannibalism).
- If there is only 1 type of predator and that predator can
predate all herbivores in the biome, then the predator
decides who survives (game warden).
- Herbivores with the most teeth survive.
- Predator Extinctions.
Predators choose qualifying prey Predators without prey go
extinct. Order of choice is by
- Larger predators choose before smaller.
- Fewer teeth choose before more teeth.
- Cleanup. Genotypes with no population on the board
- discard their genotype card
- discard any exclusive DNA cards
- move any non-exclusive DNA cards in their column to the
column of a genotype using them, even if this slot is
- Sanity Check.
Players should double-check from time to time the following:
- No hex has a biomass capacity of more than 4
- No biome has more herbivores than biomass capacity
- No predator is unable to consume its prey due to size
- No predator is unable to consume its prey due to roadrunner DNA
Thu Jun 29 13:29:52 PDT 2000
Thanks for the assistance of Erik Hilsdale.
Please forward any comments and additions to this WWW-page to