Spotlight on Games
The First War
Print and Play Game
An empire-building game for 2 players in
which they utilize discovered terrain, four types of
pieces and technology cards to their utmost efficiencies.
Conflict is entirely deterministic, depending on position and availability
of forces, but technology, terrain and reinforcements are determined by
varying levels of randomness. In particular, players have some control over
which technologies they decide to pursue and something of a breeding program
that confers control over the types of reinforcements that appear.
Constructing the game
- 36 ordinary playing cards
- 6 sheets of Avery 5395 (or equivalent) name badge stickers
(36 stickers in all –
example at amazon.com)
- Hexagonal tiles in five types
(a good source are those available in the games
- 36 Lake
- 18 Field
- 15 Mountain
- 14 Plain
- 13 Forest
- Cubes and disks:
- 80 wooden cubes (20 each in red, blue, green and purple)
- 80 wooden disks (20 each in red, blue, green and purple)
- 40 white cubes
- a 6-sided die
- 14 letter-sized sheets of paper
If making a box, you may wish to print this
on self-stick paper.
- Print the 10-page rules of play.
- Print the 1-page player aide twice.
- Print the 1-page population track twice.
- Print the 3 pages of cards on to the name
badge stickers, twice.
- Stick all of these name badge stickers onto playing cards.
Created: 27 July 2014
Please send any comments to